Monday, April 03, 2006

I want a standing ovation!!!!!!!!

The history behind the title of this post: During freshman orientation, there was an event called "Playfair" which was a giant icebreaker affair. One of the gags of the event was that at any time someone could yell out "I want a standing ovation" and they would get lifted up on the shoulders of those nearest them while everyone else, forgetting the task at hand, would stand up and clap, cheer, whistle, etc.

This is a nice image for tonight's post. Last week I attended a concert of the Signature Symphony, the closest Tulsa can come to mustering a professional orchestra (trust me, they aren't professional). It was a nice concert, as far as these things go, but what stuck out to me was at the end, hardly anyone stood up and gave a standing ovation- my theory being that it was due to the fact that they were playing Mendelssohn's Italian Symphony, which, while an amazing piece that deserves a post of its own, is not showstoppingly loud or fast. This is the first time in a long time I can recall an audience at a concert I've attended not leaping up and enthusiastically clapping. In fact, it made me downright ecstatic.

I wish that I could attribute this tendency toward overexcitement to a lack of culture on the part of my Oklahoman neighbors, but I see this everywhere I go. Certainly some of it is due to an amount of tone deafness on the audience's part, but not all. Something about our culture fosters an intense need for affirmation which in turn leads to approval of things which don't deserve it. I guess this makes me a bit of a snob. Who am I to judge what deserves extreme adulation and what deserves only mild approval? I think Aristotle would side with me on this one; I've been playing the cello for nearly 12 years (at least 7 of those in a serious symphonic setting) and grew up listening to classical music constantly. Maybe I am not a music theory genius, but I know what sounds good and what doesn't. Clapping of course is only polite, and is acceptable for most situations. But a standing ovation?

I'm remembering the good old days when people rioted at the premier of Rite of Spring or booed loudly at Schoenberg's concerts (side note: I think one of the prerequisites of being considered a father of modern music is violent reaction to your work). Sure, history proved the masses wrong as to their opinions of those works (well, at least Stravinsky- the jury's still out on Schoenberg), but in most scenarios we are talking about performances of established pieces that have standards based on repeated performances. And gosh darn it, at least those people had the gumption to stand up and voice their disapproval!

Alright, this post is starting to come together in ways which are not necessarily coherent. Back to the main point. I think it and odd phenomenon in our culture, which so values the tearing down of others, that in concert halls we support the overzealous approval of art. A theory or two:

Many members of the modern audience are not overly musically educated, so their reaction to a piece is largely fueled by the overwhelming emotions it conveys. Instead of actual merit determining what we approve, we rely on the raw emotional ordeal to help us judge. This is not entirely a bad thing- emotion is, naturally, a powerful thing. But art is based (loosely) around the concept of expressing emotions through some sort of structure that requires skill. That is why no one finds art value in the poetry of teenagers- they have emotion galore, but no technical skill to help them convey said emotions in an artful manner.

The idea that this is what people do at these events. Ignorance is a common enough excuse for ill behavior. People, belonging to the category mentioned above, sense that standing to clap is the appropriate response to a concert no matter the quality.

In special cases their might be a felt obligation for affirmation. Specifically I am thinking of youth orchestra settings, where parents go wild for the sake of their children. What a beautiful thing that is, an expression of unconditional love. But let us not confuse the map for the territory. Cheer for your kid till your blue in the face, but unless their name happens to be Sarah Chang, don't expect me to do the same.

Both of these (first two) ideas are dangerous. The point so much is not the standing ovation itself- cultural norms gradually change, and it may be that this is one that does. Rather the general trend of heaping overwhelming praise on what is in reality inferior art is what really scares me. Are we losing touch with the works of art that define who we are? You see this trend all over. People read Danielle Steele instead of The Iliad, and worse than that, they (implicitly at least) attribute the same value to Steele as to Homer, if not more. People fill garbage bags with air and call it high art- and receive exorbitant grants for it! Subjectivity in culture, the curse of the postmodern world. I smell a post on the excellent man of Aristotle in the near future.

To a certain extent people fear hierarchy. We are trained from our youngest days that everyone is special and equal. Sometimes at concerts I have been chided for not standing when I clap, but to me realizing the hierarchy of the good frees me terrifically. When I stand and clap for a mediocre performance, it cheapens the action when I do it for a brilliant one. Maybe I clap particularly hard but don't stand for a piece that was very good, but not quite mindblowingly spectacular. To some extent it is a matter of personal conscience. This may sound like it goes directly against my belief in the objectivity of aesthetic experience, but it doesn't- each must be held responsible for their own actions.We should seek to discern good art, and affirm it as such. Otherwise, you'll find me firmly in my cushion executing my finest golf clap.

2 comments:

Ash said...

Thank you for posting this. It was a long time coming in my head.

Phoebe said...

Amen, my brother! Stetson concert-goers need to read this...

(P.S. Fix your typos. That is all.)