Saturday, March 07, 2009

Mimesis

Isn't it amazing how art evokes other art? I woke up this morning, fresh off of Karl's recital last night, with the desire to write poetry. Everything about the pieces he wrote was so raw and wonderful, so deeply affecting, that it made me remember why I write.

Sounds silly, maybe, but I think this week I almost forgot entirely. I started my job -- HR Temp at a hospital -- and I am grateful to have it, but something about working with Excel all day (or maybe it's the suffocating atmosphere of corporate America) choked out my remembrance of writing. Have you ever worked an 8 to 5 job? When you get home, all you want to do is fall onto the couch and play video games. Creating something of value really does take effort; I find it physically exhausting, and who has the energy to do two exhausting things in one day?

But good art is worth the trouble. To see Karl up there on stage, baring his soul, not hiding at all, moved me to tears. To hear such personal thoughts combined with sublime music was indescribable. I may never write anything half as good as Karl's songs,but he makes me want to try.

2 comments:

Grant Good said...

I hear ya. Every time I came home from National, all I wanted to do was eat Taco Bueno and watch South Park or YouTube. I mean, I actually looked forward to it. Granted, I was working 3:30 to 11:30 at night, but still...

But, I'm excited to learn that you found a job--you'll have to explain to me what being an HR temp involves sometime. And I understand that suffocating atmosphere all too well. It often leads me to question the wisdom of majoring in business.

e said...

Yay to finding a job, of some sort, even if it's not amazing.

Karl's recital was...! Intense, incredible.